First Sail Experience
HOW FIRST SAIL EXPERIENCE WORKSInterested in learning how to sail, but not sure if you are ready for a full commitment? Take SSBG’s on-the-water First Sail Class to see first-hand why sailing is one of the most relaxing as well as exhilarating activities on earth. Once you learn to sail, you’ll have a one of a kind hobby for life!
• Rigging and checking the boat
• Assigning roles for initial sail
• Discussing different sail plans
• Practicing upwind sailing with tacking drills, sailing “in the groove” with tell tales and understanding the wind indicator
• Practice downwind sailing with jibing drills, discussing wind safety and awareness
• Reviewing proper docking, tie up and storage techniques
• Reviewing and identifying the next steps in your learning process
When To Sail
Schedule your First Sail class with SSBG’s Community Sailing staff whenever convenient. SSBG hosts personalized lessons throughout the week.
WHAT TO BRING
Closed-toed rubber-soled shoes, sunglasses, a hat with a brim, comfortable, lightweight layers of clothing, a jacket that sheds rain or spray, a water bottle, sunscreen, and lip balm.
14 years and older
$50 per person for non-members*
$25 per person for SSBG members*
*Group rates are available
Who To Contact
SSBG COMMUNITY SAILING CENTER
409-572-2560 Ext. 1008
Capt. Mike Janota